Friday, May 15, 2009

shel silverstein

i was just reading the collection of poetry in his book.... where the sidewalk ends... who remembers that book? i remember discovering his poetry in elementary school when i was trying to find something to read for the dramatic reading contest. yeah, we had a dramatic reading contest. did that contest exist at any other elementary school? anyway, his book is an example of the imagination at its best.... check out his website... www.shelsilverstein.com


Whatif

      Last night, while I lay thinking here,
      Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
      And pranced and partied all night long
      And sang their same old Whatif song:
      Whatif I'm dumb in school?
      Whatif they've closed the swimming pol?
      Whatif I get beat up?
      Whatif there's poison in my cup?
      Whatif I start to cry?
      Whatif I get sick and die?
      Whatif I flunk that test?
      Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
      Whatif nobody likes me?
      Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?
      Whatif I don't grow talle?
      Whatif my head starts getting smaller?
      Whatif the fish won't bite?
      Whatif the wind tears up my kite?
      Whatif they start a war?
      Whatif my parents get divorced?
      Whatif the bus is late?
      Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?
      Whatif I tear my pants?
      Whatif I never learn to dance?
      Everything seems swell, and then
      The nighttime Whatifs strike again!

      ~Shel Silverstein

No comments: